Sunday, December 8, 2013

Realization

Well, suffice it to say, I have determined that I despise sand paper. I do not like dust. The repetitive motion with super slow results frustrates me. Believing it to be complete, wiping the piece off to admire your work, only to see a non-uniform surface staring back--almost angers me. I really like the planed surfaces, uniform (other than the tool marks, which don't make it look sloppy at all) in appearance and easily left or lightly sanded prior to finishing.


To get rid of the dust was simple enough. I built a sanding station that would keep the dust out of the air and hook up to my nicely muffled shop vacuum. That took about an hour, though most of that time was spent looking for my off-cut of peg board.

And so we have what I have been up to lately. I was able to finish a couple more of the holders, and developed a design that was quite fun to make, used several skills and tools, and also required little sanding. The same blank was used, about 6"x6", and most of the waste was sawed away, and then planed flat. This design was different from the others and a little faster moving so I also used it for a couple more. Overall, a nice little diamond shape when looked at from above. I like it, and it also received the nod of approval from the other half.

Sadly, though, the entire thing came to a crashing halt when I had to dig out the sandpaper to finish the other ones which had been touched with saw, rasp, and file until there was nothing left but smoothing. Ouch. Have I mentioned I do not like this part? I did get to use my new dust sucker though. That worked out quite well. 

So now I have quite the variety sanded, about half of them I'd say, and am procrastinating sanding the other half. Again...I don't enjoy it. Lathe is more fun. Let's do that and get a piece ready.

And then not do anything with it. My flywheel is riding on the headstock because the shaft tightened up more than I guessed it would. Dang it. It's just not my favorite day. We'll clear that out next week. I'm done and need to see my other half for at least dinner...or at least that's what she told me. Be right there!

Josh

3 comments:

  1. Had you thought of using card scrapers vs sandpaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I bought one not too long ago and I seem to do pretty well on harder woods, but this pine is posing some problems! I kept digging in and leaving a rougher surface than when I started! I'm not even sure where to start...

      Delete
    2. Actually I bought one not too long ago and I seem to do pretty well on harder woods, but this pine is posing some problems! I kept digging in and leaving a rougher surface than when I started! I'm not even sure where to start...

      Delete