Sunday, December 29, 2013

Well...huh...oops.

I know it's been a little quiet lately, and for that I apologize, as that was not the original intent. Fortunately, it's been an eventful Holiday season, but unfortunately I had a fairly severe workshop accident as well a day or too prior to Christmas. I was paring some end grain when I shifted just wrong and my knee gave out. I moved my off hand from over the blade to out in front to try and catch myself on the bench. Sadly, not all my muscles did the same thing at the same time and there was still a little forward momentum on the chisel. To summarize, instead of dropping the tool, I "decided" to stick it into my finger, severing two tendons and a nerve in my index finger. Oops.

After 3-4 hrs in the ER (drove myself) I got a couple stitches, a surgery scheduled, and a compliment on how sharp my tools were. No marks on the cartilage or bone, meaning there wasn't a whole lot of momentum, just sharp. Good job I guess?

Word to anyone out there: Tools are replaceable. Try to drop them rather hurt yourself. I know there's usually not enough time to think and act, but if for some reason there is, just let go.

So enough about that. It interrupted things for a few hours, but accidents do happen and unfortunately, this was one of those that I'm not sure if I could have avoided, other than sitting for some of the finer chisel work. My knee evidently cannot be trusted.

And here is the project I'd been working on. It is a drink carrier for a good friend of mine.
It's made completely of oak and in a future picture will be finished with a semi-gloss poly to protect it from the mild moisture from whatever drinks may find themselves in the carrier. Yes, there was blood on one end, but a scraper plane and some mineral spirits took care of most of it. Here are some pics from along the way:
The ends hold the 2 pieces of loose 1/4" oak that make up the bottom of the holder. The bottom will be contained by the sides of the holder.
The card scraper did a wonderful job after I trimmed down the dowels. Everything nice and even. For some reason it was actually easier with only 1.5 hands, and I'm not sure why.
And yes, I couldn't stay out of the shop after the accident. The same day I actually finished up what I'd been working on...

and the poly...

Overall, I thought it turned out great. The project was done just in time, even with the interruption, and seemed to go over very well. So now it's on to the new projects. I also have quite a bit more to share from the last couple weeks, but those will be on other posts. 

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!


Josh






No comments:

Post a Comment