Sunday, January 12, 2014

Update

Well, I just wanted to update everyone on my progress after the injury, just as promised. From what I can understand, the surgery went as well as could be expected. Supposedly, I can get anywhere from 25-75% of its use back. the nerve could be another story, though.

The strange part was that there was almost no conversation before the surgery and very little after. My followup appointment wasn't much different and that is where I learned that things weren't as rosy as I thought. Oh well. my own research into my injury had led me to the same conclusions. There's a reason that area of tendon repair is called "no man's land."

Day after surgery
Accidents happen in the shop and almost all of us are lucky enough to avoid anything serious. I can't count the number of times I've had to address minor cuts and scrapes. So far I've been able to deal with this one in the same way and just say "dang it!" and move on. The things we work with are sharp and can be dangerous, but so can so many other things worth taking the journey. We must always be aware of not just those tools in our hands, but our surroundings and and thinking "what if x happens" and plan accordingly whenever possible.

So now I am sitting here making sketches of a bassinet for my son and counting the days until my next appointment so that I can get started in the shop again. I'm figuring stitches should be ready to come out then and there won't be much more worry of the whole dirty shop/infection thing going on. Then it will just be a matter of keeping the darned thing held in place so I don't mess anything up with the repaired tendons. I'm thinking just working one handed will be the best bet for that, which is the main reason that i need to get started on the bassinet. Only 3 months left, and my pace may be even slower than normal!

So hopefully next week will have even better news and a post on actual woodworking. I'm not sure about all of you, but I really can't wait! Sitting around is going to kill me!

Oh! If anyone has some great ideas for bassinet, or helpful advice from anyone who has built or owned one, let me know!

Josh


4 comments:

  1. I severed the outside radial nerve on my left hand first finger (broken glass while washing dishes). I have sensation in most of the tip and I have no feeling/sensation between the second knuckle to the finger tip. I do feel heat/cold but that's it. I'm amazed by how the body automatically compensates for it. I can feel flush on two boards so I'll take that and deal with the rest.
    I hope that your recovery goes well - hint let it heal before you start working it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ralph.Currently the plan is to do not much of anything then basically keep it locked up in the brace until they tell me the tendons are good to go, so we'll just be working one-handed hopefully in the next couple weeks! i'm good with that, but not doing anything is probably the worst part of the entire ordeal!

      Delete
  2. The best cradle I have ever seen was made by John Economaki, owner of Bridge City Tools. You can see it in this video at about the 1 minute mark: http://www.opb.org/television/programs/artbeat/segment/john-economaki-tool-maker/ I know it looks daunting, but I don't think the basic idea is as hard as it looks. You could laminate the ribs without too much difficulty and make a simplified version. I hope you heal quickly. The nerves in both of my second toes are dead, the result of a marathon bicycle tour with poorly adjusted cleats. It's a pain but you learn to cope. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, that cradle is amazing! That type of design is what I've been toying around with, though like you mentioned, a little more simplified. Maybe I'll have a chance to get the sketch on here this week. Thanks for the wishes and support, Andy!

      Delete