Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Table part one

Well I had most of my boards ripped and planed flat on 2 sides in prep for the leg laminations, as there are no local stores that offer any material thicker than 3/4". Somehow I needed 5 more ripped and roughed to length rather than the 2 I had figured in my head. No big deal. I ripped an 8' board with a newly sharpened rip saw. This was my first real test after I sharpened my first saw...excellent! I know it's soft wood, but it took about all of 3-4 minutes to go the full 8 feet.

Since I took these from a wider board than the original pieces, I actually had less to flatten in prep for the lamination. Almost no shavings required to hit the floor...bummer. I usually look forward to that part.

Now it's time for the glue-up, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not generally very good at laminating, but since these will be small, only four boards, and glued on their faces, this should be a little easier...yeah, right.

Three of them turned out decent, but the fourth? Not so much. There will be a price to pay on that one. They had shifted out of "square" and so now have a twist. I think I'll be making a new leg rather than planing it all down, since I'd also have to change the sizes of the other 3 to match.

Either way, I now have 3 usable and 1 possible. We'll see where that goes when the dust settles and the glue dries.










I was also able to cut all 14 pieces of the top. Now I've run into another dilemma though that I'll explain and request assistance on another post. This one is long enough and I already tend to get a little wordy. For now I'll just let the glue dry on this one...

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment