Wednesday, January 1, 2014

And the Next One...

Ok, no one is allowed to make fun of the sketch...everything/everyone starts somewhere. So the sketch doesn't do it much justice, but this will be my next project. It's a sideboard/sofa table. I call it both as initially it will be used as a sideboard, and later, I want it to be able to move into the living room if possible. The primary reason I'd like to make it dual purpose is I will leave a true sideboard for a future project, which will be more complicated than the piece of furniture I will be making this time. Baby steps...baby steps...

Since it can be used as both, there were some limitations. It couldn't be over 30" tall. I didn't want it more than 14" wide so that it would be out of the way no matter where I put it. And the other half said it couldn't be longer than 48". Okee dokee, message received. The top will be made of laminated 3/4", along the width (if I explained that right, each board will be 14" in length). This will somewhat match our new dining room table.

So I spent the morning with a quick sketch of the idea and sharpening the tools. Oh, and setting up the blade on my "new" Bedrock 3C. Cool find at a local antique shop. Only fault is the lever to adjust the iron is broken. Not a problem, as a couple taps with a mallet make the world better. This one will need a little TLC before too much use, but it is usable for now. Sole is flat, frog is flat and seats well, and the chipbreaker is nice and tight against the blade.

















Today I didn't get too much past this point, but I did get 2/3 of the boards cut for the legs and planed flat for lamination. The legs I plan to be 2.5" square when all said and done.






















Here's the leftovers from the flattening. I love seeing piles of shavings like this. That and the pine smells so good in the shop.

And why pine? Mainly because that's about all I can get here in the desert, as there aren't any woodworking stores anywhere closer than 3 hours. That and it's easy to work with (and learn with), inexpensive, and can make some beautiful furniture. Yes, it does ding a little easier, but it still looks good and serves its function.


So I guess that's about it for now. I'll be spending as much time as I can out there for the next two days, as my surgery to reattach all that stuff in my finger is supposed to be on Friday if the insurance stuff all goes through....but that's another story. Till then, be safe and have fun!

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment