Sunday, January 5, 2014

Side Table 3.5

Today was a day of finishing cleaning up the garage after the garage sale, mowing the lawn, and then squaring up a couple of the laminated legs. As tomorrow is the surgery, I wanted to get quite a bit of work done on the table since I will likely be prohibited from doing much of anything for a while. Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen as my hand started to ache and swell while planing. Fortunately, I was still able to make some mouse a very cozy home.

The glue-up from a few days ago was horrible. Here is a picture of one of them. I figured I could deal with the problem while squaring, but I wasn't planning on dealing with as much twist as I had put in the laminations during glue up. I had figured the laminating process would have been the simplest I've done to this point, and to an extent it was, but I should have paid much more attention.

Started with cleaning up the major squeeze out with a chisel. This keeps my plane from having to deal with it and possibly damaging the blade. Then it was on to some quick sizing and roughly getting them square with my freshly sharpened #5.

Finishing off was the #7, the first plane I ever rehabbed. This made it nice and flat once I had the majority of the squaring done. A little help from my #4 helped to get a couple minor troubled spots. I actually stopped with the #4 as the chipbreaker wasn't seated right and clogged up on me. This will take some fettling that I just didn't have the stamina for today. My #603C came out to play instead for a bit. I actually think I might like it better than the #4, but that will take some more play time.



And this is the first one, I think. Both came out really nice and ready for cutting to length and some mild shaping. The size comparison on width between these to are within 1/16", so I'm calling them good unless I have a major fail with one or both of the other two and some shrinking needs to be done. I just know that if I keep playing, I'll just wind up with bigger piles of shavings than contained within the first picture.

Until next time, when we finish the other two and start trimming/fitting the top! --Josh

3 comments:

  1. Hope your surgery goes well Josh. Keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you with your surgery. You were mowing, we were shoveling. Would rather have been in your position!

    ReplyDelete