Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lessons to Learn


I look at my projects for my shop as solely practical, yet many times I'll remember to use them as practice. I don't usually paint or stain them, but I do try to add a little something every now and again to try and further my skills as a woodworker. Today was just building a small station for my cordless drills and decided that I would try to add some curves and dovetails.
Does it need them? Not really. Will anyone care? Nope. shoot, it's likely no one will ever see it, but it is an opportunity for me to take a simple project and make it just a little more appealing. Besides, it means I can spend a little more time on a project and become just a little bit better so that when curves on a project really do matter, I don't dread or fear it.


PhotoPhoto
Currently I'm reading The Joiner and Cabinet Maker. The story of the apprentice, Thomas, is quite eye opening, showing me how much he labored at perfecting his methods of work, even on just scrap pieces of wood, whether it was sawing, planing, or joinery. How can I expect to have to do anything less?
So I guess we’ll give those dovetails and curves a try...


Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment