Tuesday, October 29, 2013

More Shop Storage - Nail/Screw Holder

I don't like walking around my shop just to grab stuff I use almost every time I'm out there. That has led me to my mission to get more organized. I was using peg boards, but it just wasn't enough, and if you didn't want to pull the pieces out of the board every time you pulled off a tool--or just wanted to reorganize everything--it was a pain in the rear.

So I've been on my mission. This time it was screws and nails. I hate digging them out of my toolbox. I really wanted something that was within easy reach of my bench, plus give me a place to keep things off of my bench while I'm working and this is the result. It's a single board about 5 inches wide with dados cut into it to allow for the small shelves.

I don't own a table saw--and really don't want one--so the dados would have to be cut by hand. This is the first time I've really done this on something other than practice, so I won't say I was nervous, but I was extra careful on the first one.

I started the dado by knifing my lines at 3/4". I set my first line, then used the actual shelf board to mark the other side. Marked the lines with the chisel and then made a second cut with the chisel to make a "V" for the saw to ride in.
Then sawed to the marked depth in each of the lines. Going back with the 3/4" chisel and chopping a little all the way down really made removing the waste simple.
Then the router plane quickly takes care of the rest...
This first one took about 20 minutes, but the others were about 5-10 minutes apiece. Easy...
And then it's just cutting the shelves to length and gluing them in. Doesn't get much simpler! Oh, and adding the cleat on the back to hang it from. I just used an off-cut piece from one of the other cleats. Up on the wall it goes!
An easy project completed, but I really enjoyed the practice. Besides, it's useful and only took about an hour. I'm sure someone can figure out another use for it too.

--Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment