Saturday, October 26, 2013

More Shop Storage-Quick Clamp Rack

Everywhere you read about woodworking, there's one (of many) common threads: you can never have too many clamps. I have to agree. Almost every other project I work on, I think to myself--at least once--that it would have been a lot easier if I had another clamp. This has led to my being the proud owner of about 20 F-style and Quick Grip clamps. In building my table for my belt/disc sander, I incorporated some through rods that allow some clamps to just hook over it, and then the other clamps just rest over the edge.

It's not the prettiest, but it definitely works. It's a table I don't use every day in the shop, so the clamps remain out of the way. What I don't like, however, is that when I do use the clamps, I sometimes accidentally pull others off with the one I wanted. I also have to bend down to get the quick grips. Not so cool. I don't like bending down and reaching blindly for my tools.

Since I've been building shop storage stuff, this is next on the list. I had several ideas, so now all that's left is to try out an idea I've got for a 2x6 and some 3/4" dowels. I happen to have those handy.

Basically I just took the 2x6 and drilled some 3/4" holes. I didn't go all the way through so that the glue wouldn't spill out the back and create a mess I'd have to clean up later.
Then I planed it. I should have done that first because it was a little warped. This will make it look better, but really this is just a personal preference. I mainly just like using my planes. It's amazing how you can make construction lumber look completely different with a sharp plane and a couple minutes of elbow grease. My shop storage stuff is more functional than anything else. This one is really just that....practical.
Next is the big rip. 45 DEG for the french cleat to match what is already on my wall...I wish I had a better rip saw, but my inexpensive Japanese pull saw will work just fine for this...
Then I clean up the angle from the saw cut. This will true up the edge and make a smoother surface to rest against the piece on the wall.



Done with the block plane and jointer plane...
Then glue up the cleat to the main piece...
Glue the dowels in the holes...
And then put it up on the wall and start loading it up...
My placement was wrong on the dowels....oops. but it works. If I think I need another one, it's about 2 hrs of work (and that was mainly waiting for the glue to dry.

Now on to the next one...for my parallel and pipe clamps...the wall doesn't like them leaning...

No comments:

Post a Comment