Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Shop Storage: Cordless Drills



So I was able to finish up the cordless drill holder that I had started prior to my trip to Tucson. I used joints that weren't needed (dovetails) and added some curves and bevels where they weren't required (this is going to sit in my shop) and enjoyed the build and learning process quite a bit. I would definitely recommend the addition of "unnecessary" joinery and fancier features if for nothing more than excellent practice.

This tool holder sits on my wall using the french cleats that I had mounted a couple weeks ago. It holds 3 drills, plus their batteries and chargers. They sit right at the front of my workbench so they are within easy reach. Why are there 3? Well, it's what I had, of course. Plus, having more than one cordless drill let's me keep from having to do multiple bit/drill changes. It also keeps all the gear in one place.

In making the cabinet, I dovetailed the sides onto the bottom. It's strong more than what's needed, but hey, it's practice.


I also decided I'd try beveling the mounting piece that the drill motors rest in. Why? Well, because I haven't tried it before, and I'm sure I'll need to do it for a nicer project in the future. I did them all with a block plane. I started with a different one, but the block plane felt really good for this process. Next time, I know to start with bevels on the ends first, so that way if there is any tearout, it will be removed when I bevel along the grain.

To protect against tearout, I also clamped a backing board in line with the piece between a dog and my end vise.

And now the finished bevel looks pretty good for the first try.

And then I squared up the mating surfaces where this beveled board will rest with my shoulder plane.

Finally I glued it together and mounted it on the wall.

Next step is to mount the outlet underneath so all the cords are out of the way....there's always something else! 

Until next time....

Josh










No comments:

Post a Comment