Sunday, November 24, 2013

And Then There Were (almost) 7

As I mentioned in the previous post, the first project is always fun. The second?...not so much, if it is a copy of the first.

To that end--as you can see on the left--I've decided to make them all a little different and using different tools to achieve the end results. to get the basic shapes, I have to admit that the first one was nothing but playing with planes. There was no plan going in, and it seemed to work out pretty well.

For the rest, there has been a little bit more planning, but not a whole lot. There were a couple napkin sketches of the basic shapes, but that was about it. From there it has been pretty much more along the lines of..."I'd like to do some curves"...and so I broke out the coping saw and rasp. Another was "I'd like this one to look like the first one...but rounded..." and so I played with the planes to set the basic shape and then a rasp and file to get it all smoothed out. I have no idea what I was thinking on the others...I'll make something up later...

So here are the basics...I actually remembered to take a few pics along the way...



Sawed all the parts. Surprisingly, my cuts are getting much straighter...








Not all of them were this straight, so I ran most of them across the shooting board...








And I decided one of the projects at the end of this will be a new shooting board...







Then laid them all out and made sure that they would glue up without gaps...then glued them up...







And then sketched out the shape I wanted for this one. This one will be made with the coping saw and rasp...







Started cutting...For some reason I actually be seeming to follow the line...huh...



And then kicked myself for rushing and thinking "oh, it's going so well!"






And after quite a bit of work with the rasp I was able to smooth both sides out...and they even look even...

Oh, and a hand-stitched rasp is now on my list, by the way...






Decided on some harsher angles on this one, so this will be almost all saw work...




Well, that was about it for today. I figured my wife would like me to leave the shop for a bit and unwind a bit since she just got home from work. Overall, not a bad afternoon. I was able to keep the projects interesting and all different enough that they don't look like they rolled off an assembly line, so we'll call it a success! Only a couple more to do...

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment