Saturday, November 23, 2013

And Then There Were More...

Well today was a little more of the same. It's kind of strange doing several projects which are all the same concept. Normally, I have just one project for a specific purpose or person, and then it's on to the next one. I may make another version at some point in the future, but usually there are several projects between. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, so I decided to make it a little more interesting.

These little "vases" are all based off the same basic design and start out just as blocks with a mortise in the middle. This mortise is made during the glue up in order to make it quite a bit simpler and faster to assemble. This gives me a nice quick blank to work with.

The original I made was done with hand planes only and was based on lots of angles. This one starts out exactly the same, and even has the same overall design, but uses curves instead.

I messed up on the glue up...need to do something about that...

The freshly sharpened #4 does quick work with this. Just planed in from both sides.

Sawed the major angles/tapers for each side...

Then marked and planed as much of a curve as I could. 

Then took rasp/file/and sandpaper to move the shape into a nice, smooth curve.

And then took a different approach with the other one...and now have two new thingies...

And now I need to sketch up some more to see what else I can do to keep them interesting...

Until next time...

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment