Friday, November 15, 2013

Next?

Deciding on my next project is always a difficult process. When there is a definite need for something, it's pretty simple. Meeting needs takes the decision out of the process. Then it's just a matter of design.

When I look for projects, I often look for things that I know how to do…which is just not the right way to approach these things. If I say I’m in it for the learning, skill-building, peace, and meditation type atmosphere that woodworking by hand gives me, then I am cheating myself by only doing things I learned a year ago!

My dovetails aren’t perfect, but then again, I’ve seen quite a few experienced people go “oops” and glue in a shim or recut a board. I like that about them, and mine are certainly good enough for my current projects. At least I think so…the family and friends seem to be supporting with “oohs and ahhs” at the right moments… (thanks Mom!)

Cutting the dados by hand a few weeks ago really showed me that I didn’t have to be scared of trying new things, and the speed and confidence really grew by the time I was on the 4th one….which caused me to blow out one of my saw cuts (unfortunately the 2nd one on that dado which meant it was oversized), but that was ok. Cockiness is normal, we just have to make sure it doesn’t get out of hand. Ruining a pine board is one thing, but a nice piece of walnut or cherry would cause a much different reaction…

So now, with this new revelation, I have a multitude of project options that just opened up for me and I need to choose. I think I will do several things, which will incorporate not just a fine finished product, but also hone previous skills and acquire new ones. Making boxes is definitely one of those projects that can incorporate many different skill sets, so that will likely be the course of action I will take.

I’ll definitely be practicing dovetails for these boxes, but I’d also like to do some different versions incorporating rabbets and some including moldings and possibly raised panel lids. I’ve never done these types of joints by hand, so working with these skills would definitely encourage growth.

I’ve also got a design drawn that would include frame and panel sides and lid, but that one may be a little later…just because I want a challenge and learn new skills doesn’t mean I want to kill myself right out of the gate!


And then there’s my original idea of following along with the Joiner and Cabinetmaker projects…and wanting to work on my turning skills on my pole lathe…and…Who knows…we’ll find out what strikes me when I walk into the shop this weekend…

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment