Sunday, November 17, 2013

Several "to do's" done

Well, it's been a very productive weekend in the shop. Not knowing what the next project was going to be when I first walked out, a new shelf for the shop became the next batter up.

I had built a shelf a few weeks ago to store some of the finishes and glues that I generally keep around, but for some reason I needed a new horizontal service on my wall. Besides, I can practice trying to make it prettier than most of my other shop "furniture". Practice is good, and the shelf would be useful, so therefore I can call the time in the shop "productive".

And then I got distracted...

My rabbet plane was still sitting on the bench after I'd cleaned up and when I went to put it back in the cabinet, I realized that I was sick of only my bench planes having a home. So I spent a few minutes and made use of some of the empty space in the upper part of the cabinet.

Ah, much better...and now back to the initial project...








So I decided this would be a smaller shelf in order to give me a little extra flexibility on where to put it on my wall of cleats. 16" sounds good.


Sawed, chiseled, and routed the dadoes for the supports. Not sure if I needed it, but it was fun. Like I said--practice.

Then sketched out the pattern for the support. Only on one though. I'll use this one as a template once I get it where I like it.

Sawed out the support with the coping saw...


Then used my cheap rasps and my spokeshave to even it all out.

Yup, looks just fine. Much fancier than I'm used to...

And now on to the other one. I'll use this as the template.


Somehow they match...cool.

Eased some of the edges a little with the block plane and then it was time for glue up. (Always keep offcuts from angled or contoured cuts to use as cauls later)

And here is the "finished" product. Not too bad. Much better than my usual shop fare...



No comments:

Post a Comment